The Arts Gallery in Zakopane goes back to 1911. It is a meeting place not only for painters and sculptors, but also musicians, writers, film makers, actors. Such artists as: Witkacy, Hasior, Kantor, Brzozowski, Duda-Gracz, Nowosielski and Bereś presentedtheir Works here and Mądzik and Witkacy theatres performer there.
After the World Word II the gallery resumed its exhibitions in 1945 with the first director after the war – the painter Wojciech Fleck. In 1968 Anna Waloch became the director until 2007. The gallery immediately became an important part of the Polish artistic life and quickly grew to be an avant-garde art centre. The Famous March Exhibitions marked the turn away from socialist realism in art. The first of the exhibitions was particularly momentous with works of such artists as: Maria Jarema, Tadeusz Brzozowski, Lebenstein, Kazimierz Mikulski, Jonasz Stern, Jerzy Tchórzewski, Wacław Taranczewski, Aleksander Kobzdej, Jerzy Nowosielski, Teresa Pągowska, Jan Tarasin, Piotr Potworowski, Jan Cybis, Tadeusz Kantor, Henryk Stażewski.
It was also there that the Festival of Films about Art, the only independent film festival about artists and their work, took place for years. The gallery became an important exhibition centre in Poland. It hosted such artists as Jerzy Duda Gracz, Zdzisław Beksiński, Władysław Hasior, Jerzy Nowosielski, Zdzisław Beksiński, Jacek Waltoś, Stanisław Rodziński, Jerzy Bereś. Exhibitors from Zakopane mark their permanent presence. The gallery presents primarily contemporary Polish art. It hosts book presentations, arts film shows, poetry readings as well as concerts. The gallery also organises contemporary art fairs. On 1st January 2001 the Town Arts Gallery was founded in Krupówki St. 41 and on 31st July 2002 Zakopane Town Council gave it the name of Count Władysław Zamoyski Arts Gallery.